Nano Nagle Place

Nano Nagle Place

Saturday 5th October 10:00 – 12:00
Please note: maximum capacity on each tour is 25 people.

Alan Macilwraith, from JCA architects, will lead architectural tours of Nano Nagle Place.

The site holds a rich architectural collection, from a complex of convent buildings dating to the late eighteenth century to contemporary buildings. In addition to architecture, the outside spaces provide some wonderful examples of contemporary landscape design.

The wonderful complex of buildings at Nano Nagle Place form a rich architectural assemblage. The triangular wedge of land upon which it sits appears in early maps of Cork.

The oldest remaining building is the convent that Nano Nagle built for the Ursuline Sisters in 1771. Recent research has shown that many eighteenth-century design details remain. The Ursuline sisters thrived here and built extensions to the original building in 1775, 1779, and 1790. When the Ursulines moved to Blackrock in 1825 the buildings passed to the Presentation Sisters.

Over the last 4 years the buildings on this site have been preserved and renewed for posterity. These include other historic buildings, such as the beautiful chapel designed by the architect George Goldie in 1865, and the large, brick built South Presentation Primary School of 1928, which fronts Douglas Street. Added to this mix of heritage structures are new buildings, such as the Garden Room café, the Western Apex building, and the

Heritage Centre reception, along with the newly designed access to the Sisters Graveyard and Nano’s Tomb.


Designed by: JCA Architects

Location: Douglas Street, Cork T12 X70A

Accessibility: wheelchair accessible


Additional information can be found on the Nano Nagle Place website: