Saturday – tours at 11:00 and 14:00
Please note: The gallery will be open on Saturday 10:00 until 17:00 and Sunday 11:00 until 16:00,
but tours will only be offered at 11:00 and 14:00 on Saturday.
Katherine McClatchie, conservation architect, will lead two architectural tours of the Crawford Art Gallery will be available on Saturday the 5th.
The Crawford Art Gallery is a National Cultural Institution located in a significant heritage building in the heart of Cork city, dedicated to the visual arts, both historic and contemporary.
The current building has a distinct and compelling story. It is comprised of three interconnected buildings of distinct historic origin, derivation and style, reflecting their extraordinary evolution towards the cultural institution they house today.
They incorporate the former Customs House of 1724, extensively altered and expanded to the South and West by prominent architect Arthur Hill to form the ground-breaking Crawford School of Science and Art in 1884. The Crawford School of Art operated on this site for 96 years but relocated to Sharman Crawford Street in 1979.
Following an architectural competition, Dutch architect Erick van Egeraat carried out intermediary works during 1998 – 2000 taking under cover the courtyard between the South and West wings and creating 1000 square meters of additional exhibition space.
Design: Arthur Hill, Erick van Egeraat
Location: Emmet Place, Cork T12 TNE6
Accessibility: wheelchair accessible
Additional information can be found on the Crawford Gallery’s website: